Thursday, February 9, 2012

Best Remedy: Chicken Soup



I have realized that nearly every post beings with me talking about my family. I think this is because 1. I miss them terribly and 2. cooking is a family affair in our house. We do our best to eat most of our meals together--DEFINITELY dinner! It's something I look forward to all day. Nothing makes me happier than when my sister is helping set the table, my mom is cooking something divine on the stove, I'm chopping the salad, and my dad is with my brothers grilling outside (and typically calling my name to bring him the tongs or bowl he almost always forgets to take out with him). Sometimes my grandparents who live a few blocks away will surprise us around this time and join us. Then we all sit around the dinner table together while the dogs perfect their begging skills (they've gotten pretty darn good). It is dinner time--It makes the you forget the bad parts of your day and just be happy.

In our family, we each have our "speciality." I'm the salad connoisseur, my grandmother makes incredible...everything really (not fair!), and my mother is known for her Chicken Soup. This is my attempt at washing away the day's worries with what I know to be the best remedy--Chicken Soup.

What you'll need:

- 4 large carrots, cleaned and cut into thirds
- 4 pieces of celery, cut into thirds
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 medium onion, cleaned and quartered
- 1-2 lbs of chicken with bones (you can use any part you like. I prefer dark meat)
- 2 large tablespoon of chicken bouillon
- water

How you make it:

Place all of the ingredients in a large pot, making sure to place the dill in last. Fill the remaining space in the pot with water and place on HI heat. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low. Make sure that it is NOT boiling! Let it simmer for hours, periodically removing any foam that may form at the top.

Serve with any noodle of your preference or throw in some matzo balls!!! Nothing is better than this. Absolutely NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment