Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pis-STATUTE-io and Cranberry Lemon Shortbread Cookies

Law school classes end in 8 days. Then only a few papers stand in my way of graduation. How did this happen? It feels like just a few months ago, I met my friends for the first time during our ID photos (week 1 superstars); just last week, I was working in San Francisco; and just yesterday, I was having fish-filet taste-tests. It has been a crazy three years. I'm not sure how I survived it without serious mental scarring. Seriously.

Thank you blog for giving me a excuse to "taste-test" cookies whenever I am stressed.



I really want to get into a "look back" post, but I'll save that for my next entry. Right now, I'm on the final stretch and it's time to full out sprint. ALMOST THERE!






What you'll need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, shucked and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 suger


How you make it:

Don't turn on the oven. Lately, I am obsessed with freezing my cookie dough before baking. It really does result in a better cookie -- they're softer (yet crispy), they're thicker, and they're so much better looking.

Start by mixing the butter, sugar, and zest until white and fluffy. Then mix in the juice. Slowly add in the flour at low speed until dough forms. Fold in the cranberries and pistachios.

Then, in wax paper, roll the dough into a 2 inch thick log. Once you have a neat roll, place it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. (I left it in overnight)

When you're ready to bake, preheat your over to 350 degrees. Let the cookie dough log sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Then, roll the cookie dough log in white sugar. I decided to get a little fancy and rolled the log in turbinado sugar, which adds a "glittery" look.  (but that is completely unnecessary and regular sugar is both easier and just as nice.)

Now slice the roll into 1/2-inch rounds. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating at the 9 minute mark. When the cookies are lightly brown, they're done! DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY! Let them cool for at least 10 minutes, or else they will stick and crumble.

Ta-da! You have delicious cookies now. ENJOY!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete