Saturday, January 31, 2015

Split Subpoena Soup with Ham

Hello, hello! Happy 2015!

2015 is off to a running start. Life has been crazy, but in the best type of ways. I've been officially sworn in as a lawyer, received a bar number, and I signed my first court document a few days ago!!!! I guess I am a REAL lawyer. I'm still in shock. I'm not sure how I got here, but THANK YOU UNIVERSE! Everything that I worked for, planned for, prayed for, is becoming reality.



The working world is HARD, and no one ever tells you that. What the heck?! When people said, "working is better than school because you get your nights and weekends free of stress," they lied. I don't know about everyone else, but I have definitely been taking my work home with me. Pshh free weekends. I wish!

Don't get me wrong though -- it's easy to complain about it (so I do), but (at least for now) I actually really enjoy this busy-crazy-hectic-in-over-my-head world that I'm living in. I like the uphill climb of learning EVERYTHING. In its own twisted way, it's exciting.

If your year has started off as busy as mine, you've probably been unable to cook for yourself. It's a shame really, because I find cooking therapeutic and so enjoyable. I just don't seem to have the time for it, nor the energy to wash dishes after. That's why the crockpot was invented!

Nothing says RELAX like a bowl of soup. One of my favorite soups is Split Pea Soup. That makes crockpot split pea soup absolutely perfect. Comforting, relaxing, easy, and delicious. Even better is you can now buy crockpot liners, so clean up is literally a breeze. Throw away your liner and you're done! Poof, magic!

I warn you, I made a slight mistake and forgot to add the 4 cups of water to my recipe so my peas turned a brown hue Still delicious when I mixed in the water later, but definitely not as pretty as it should be. Just ignore that, please. I was a little out of it when I was putting it all together. Thank you!



What you'll need:

- 1lb dried peas, rinsed
- 7oz ham, diced (can add more of less according to preference)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2-3 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste


How you make it:

Dice everything up, throw it into the crockpot, and set it for 6 hours! Then come home to deliciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment