Saturday, December 17, 2011

Baked Apple Chips



Growing up I always accompanied my mom on trips to the market (yes, I call the grocery store the "market," don't make fun of me). I developed the habit of shopping for food to feed six people, and when I moved away for college, I couldn't seem shake the natural tendency. Plus, I eat insane amounts of fruits and vegetables on my own. Sometimes though, I simply can't make it through all 4lbs of apples in time, and the last 3 or 4 start to spoil. What to do?! My family never let food waste, so I needed to find a solution...

What's a better way to rescue a few apples from demise than to make them into delicious apple chips that store for weeks?!

What you'll need:
- apples
- cinnamon


How you make it:

First, start by removing the apple cores. You can use a special tool that does that, or you can do what I did and use the sharp point of your vegetable peeler. (I'm sure a thin knife would do the trick too)

Next, cut the apples crossways into thin slices, making sure to keep the thickness of the slices consistent.

Now, line a cookie sheet with either foil or parchment paper (I used foil and they stuck a little, so use parchment paper if you have it)

Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 275 degrees for an hour. Flip the chips, and then bake for a second hour.

I couldn't resist and starting to snack on them immediately, but if you let them cool they will get crispier.

So easy, completely healthy, and really really delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment and following your blog here.

    Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog and following me back too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the bad pun? You're telling me you've got nothing for "Baked Apple Chips?"

    ReplyDelete