Thursday, December 1, 2011

Beef Stroganoff Restatement



It's finals time and all I want is comfort food, comfort food, and COMFORT FOOD!

Makes me instantly think of my grandmother's delicious beef stroganoff, which, let's be honest, tastes oh-so-yummy because it's made with lots of butter, sour cream, and FAT...that just doesn't mesh with my lifestyle right now. Sorry, Baba.

Plus, I simply couldn't compete with my grandmother's stroganoff even if I tried, so I've made my own lighter version!

It's simple. It tastes good! And it won't make you hate your life if you eat it while watching the Victoria Secret Fashion Show (but no promises). It's my restatement of beef stroganoff, here to make your life easier and happier :)

**NOTE: I don't like using exact measurements when cooking, so these are rough estimates.Just use the portions you think work best. For example, I ♥ peas, so I added extra!**

What you'll need:
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 lbs of beef cut into strips (any cut of beef you like!)
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (for even few calories, you can use a reduced fat soup!)
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- dried red chili (optional)

How you make it:

Start by slicing the onion and sautéing it in a medium pot with a dash of salt and the red pepper. Be careful with the salt because condensed soups tend to be packed with sodium.

Then add the beef, and brown. You won't want to cook the beef all the way trough just yet!

When the beef/onion mixture gains some color, add the pepper and paprika. Stir. And then add the can of soup. Mix a little more, reduce heat, cover and let it stew away!

It can literally cook for as long or as little as you like. I let it simmer on low for a little over an hour while I studied Torts. When I was almost ready to dine, I added the sliced mushrooms and frozen peas and let it continue to simmer as I waited for my pasta to cook in a separate pot (and while I tried to make sense of my professor's economics charts..??).

You can serve the stroganoff over anything you like. Egg noodles are traditionally used, but I used rigatoni pasta. You could even use mash potatoes!

I like to top it off with a little hot sauce and PRESTO! A healthy and simple restatement of an old classic!

2 comments:

  1. Lawn Chairs in the EndzoneDecember 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM

    How come I never get invited to these food experiments? Looks pretty great to me.

    ReplyDelete