Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Third Party Biscotti



HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I love being home and I love the holiday season. Why? Beyond the obvious reasons (my dogs and all the other good stuff) it's because of the food and family, and making food with family!

I showed my grandparents my blog and my grandma instantly pulled out the holy grail that is her Russian cookbook. We spent the day baking, just like when I was younger. Oh man, I miss those days.

We decided to make one of my favorites, and one of my grandmother's originals-- Walnut and Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti. You should try it too--but beware, those Starbucks biscotti will never taste as good after you have one of these.

What you'll need:
- 1/2 lb of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- flour (as much as it takes)

How you make it:

EASY! The chop of the nuts can be however you like it. My grandma and I like it to be a medium chop, so you get some nice chunks of nuts in each piece of biscotti.

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the nuts into a large bowl, pour the oil and eggs on top, then the sugar, the cinnamon, the baking soda, and lastly, the vinegar. Make sure to pour the vinegar directly onto the baking soda. Add a cup of flour and mix everything together. Continue to mix the ingredients and add more flour until the texture is tough but still wet. You want to be able to shape the dough and it more or less keep its shape, while it is still very sticky. Does that make sense? I should have taken a picture, but I think you will manage.

Separate the dough into thirds, shaping each into an oval loaf and placing them on a lined baking sheet. Keep some space between the loafs as they will spread out a little. Sprinkle the tops of the loaves with some extra sugar (makes a delicious crunch!). Pop them in the oven and bake for 45mins.

When the loaves are done baking, let them cool completely before slicing. These biscotti are more crumbly and soft than typical biscotti. If you want them to be a little more dry, after the loaves have cooled and you have sliced them, place the slices flat on the baking sheet and bake again at 300 degrees for another 15mins.

Enjoy!

This is bailey! How adorable is he?!

1 comment:

  1. I ate one of these biscuits when I was in class. it wasn't too long before I noticed a strange feeling coming over me. Within several minutes, I had what I had not had in over ten years: a fully torped-out boner.
    I just want to thank Nicole for introducing this wonderfood into my life.

    ReplyDelete